Wednesday, November 14, 2007


THE SIM...
Its just an airplane ...honest.

Its really not that bad. The Dash is a very complex airplane and because it is older its does not have the automation that newer aircraft have. It is however a blast to fly. After three runs in the box I feel like I am still not all there. It requires a steady hand and being very prepared so that you can anticipate whats coming up next. Its not bad at all if you can stay ahead, doing things before they need to happen. The prob lies when you get behind, its so hard to get caught up and gets things going right. That is were I stand. Half the time I feel like I am right on top of things flying like a seasoned pro, then the other half I'm hanging by the static wicks. But i am feeling more comfortable with each session and I think as long as I can make progress and continue being better I will do just fine. My sim partner Daryl and I work together well and I think we are progressing nicely. We have been studying like mad and and giving it our all. But hey, I cant forget to mention how fun it is. I cant wait to fly the real thing.

Funny Story
So our instructor gave us an abnormality on the roll before V1, which is not a big deal, just stop on the runway and assess what you are going to do. Well I was in the left seat and the only thing that I have to do I call tower "Tower, Piedmont 4328, rejected take-off runway 27R." This is so that tower knows not to clear anybody else to land and the 757 behind you doesn't land on you. Well I was a bit slow to call this and the next thing I know the entire sim is shaking and cracking and it scares the crap out of both of us. "A 757 just landed on you" says the instructor. My heart was racing like none other. Needless to say, lesson learned.

No comments: